Sewing, knitting, whatever….


leave a comment »

Yesterday was supposed to be a Good Day.  It started out well – running with momentum from the weekend and Monday, I woke up in the morning and went immediately downstairs to make pizza dough with my spankin' new Kitchenaid stand mixer.  It went fantastically, and was in the fridge before I went to work, to be ready to bake at dinnertime.

A few minutes after I arrived at work, loud things started happening around me.  This is normal – I sit with design, art, and marketing, in addition to being about 10 feet from the kitchen and bathrooms.  Today, however, people were running through the area, in addition to the regular chatter.  The water valve on the urinal in the men's bathroom was broken, and wouldn't stop running.  The men's bathroom has no drain.  The water was leaking out to the carpeted hallway.  Sigh….it was gonna be one of those days.

Someone grabbed a screwdriver and shut off the water to the broken valve.  I'm not sure whether or not it got fixed; I was trying to ignore all the noise and get my work done.  The rest of the afternoon was pretty uneventful until I heard about this:

Northbound 101 closed at Redwood City

I decided to take 880 North to the San Mateo Bridge to get home instead of my usual route, knowing in advance that all possible detours would be overrun with commuters trying to do exactly the same thing.  It ended up taking me almost an hour just to get *to* the peninsula, and when I got there, I realized that they had closed Southbound 101 as well.  No gym for me.  I went home to get a jump on delicious homemade pizza dinner.

I threw some herbs and tomato sauce together to simmer on the stove while I prepared the crust.  It wasn't quite round, but it was mine.  I dusted my NEW pizza spade peel (whatever it's called, the wooden thing that you use to get pizza into the oven) with cornmeal, just as directed, and put the dough on top.  I topped it with the sauce, cheese, and even some thin-sliced tomatoes and chopped basil.  Beautiful!  The oven finished preheating, and I slipped the pie into the oven.

At least, I tried to.

The pizza was too heavy, or something, to slide off of the wood.  I tried shaking the spade peel, like they do at CPK – all that achieved was getting the tomatoes and cheese to start sliding off.  I grabbed a wide spatula to help slide the pizza.  The dough actually started to wrap itself around the spatula.  I went to dislodge that, and tomatoes and cheese started falling off – onto the stone, onto the floor of the oven, everywhere.  DAMMIT.  I wrestled to get it out of the oven, and yelled to Jon, “I broke the pizza.”  He came into the kitchen to look; I think he was holding back chuckles.  I was almost in tears.  I haven't actually ruined dinner (to the point where you can't finish) in a very long time.

I felt silly being so upset over this.  I think it was so hard for me because these were all my new toys – the mixer, the spade peel, the stone – and I was really excited to play with them.  We munched on raw pizza for a few minutes (not too much; I don't know what uncooked dough does in your body), then Jon made some hot dogs for himself.  I was too worn out from the day to eat, though I eventually had a bowl of Cheerios.

I worked on my quilt a little and watched American Gladiators, then played some Boom Boom Rocket (new song pack, yay!) before going to bed.  These things cheered me up , thank god 🙂

p.s.  No, I didn't take any pictures of the broken pizza.  It was too sad.


Written by Sarah Levantine

January 30, 2008 at 10:31 am

Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: